html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> I Need an Invention, Intention, to stop Temptation to Scream...: My 2 cents worth too...

Thursday, February 01, 2007

My 2 cents worth too...

Hope we've all seen the last of the rainy season!

Whee I'm back to blog after sometime! Hope my fellow blogger-in-command has been keeping you all busy! Yes, finally I'm free to erm talk about the weather! These past few days has been great and I'm really not hoping to see rain so soon as yet. Check out this pic over the skies of Kembangan that I caught. Was rushing to school an early morning some time back when I looked up and...


Beautiful or what? Can't believe I can capture such beauty on my phone...

Been caught up with project work and lotsa TV these days. Don't know where all the time went as well. But do you know that 1/12 of the year has passed? Uber fast right!

Was watching soccer just now and I can't help laughing at the match. Singapore won by, I would say a little stroke of luck I guess? The most amusing part of the match would probably be the protest and walk off by the Thailand team. Talk about unsporting behaviour! It was sparked off by a Thai player 'bringing' down a Sporean player in a dubious and unclear header in the penalty box with less than 10 mins of playing time left.

While the call might be a bit harsh and is certainly debatable, it was really unsporting of the Thais to just walk out of the pitch. In sports, no matter how lousy the referee is or how unfair the call may be, it's totally soreloserlish behaviour to walk off any sporting event. Sure you walk off saying the ref's unfair and biased but aren't you being equally unprofessional by walking off?


I'm not a Team Singapore soccer fan and I don't think I'll ever be one but unsporting behaviour is really an eyesore. If it was the Sporean team that walked off erm, you can call me anything but a Singaporean.

After playing squash for sometime, I've seen my fair shares of unsporting behaviour. In squash, the referee determines a large part of the game. He can single handedly decide who is the better player by his judgement and awarding of fouls. He interferes in almost every play and can really swing a game to either side if he's biased. I had a chance to play and referee at last year's army inter formation squash competition and its really disgusting to see players threatening referees and questioning their judgement. Hahaha. Saw a 50 year old tick off a 20 year old referee when he called for a foul against the old warant officer.

"Ay I tell you when I was playing squash you were not even born ah, how can you say that ball is a stroke!"

For non-squashers, erm just digest that first part. Hahaha.

The poor referee, much younger than he is and obviously smaller in rank was stunned speechless. More senior players intervened and obviously referee's decision is final. And I agreed that that would have been the call I'd make as well if I referee-ed that match. Sheesh sore loser. I admired the way the Malaysian referee stuck to his decision amidst mass protest and pressure from Thai players and coach likewise in the match just now.

While referees are not correct everytime and without bias, to me a bad referee call is just like a stroke of bad luck. Its like a shot at an empty goal that hit the woodwork, that's all. LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT.

That is why squash till today is not an Olympic sport. Too much 'grey' areas left to referee calls.

And in a sporting world with dwindling sportsmanship, I doubt there ever will be a place for 'referee' intensive sports like squash in major events.

Some boring sporting 2 cents here. Will try to blog again soon! Hehehe.

1 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Jennifer said...

9) How many pockets does a snooker table have? 6. consider to invest in silver. They might be selling their ring because they have become divorced, or their engagement was broken, or they inherited the ring from a relative and decided that they didnt want it. A smirking, vicious, two-fingered gesture of Exploding dynamite, mines, or artillery don't mix with infantry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home