html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> I Need an Invention, Intention, to stop Temptation to Scream...: Guilty! Of <em>holidaying</em> in the first degree. . .

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Guilty! Of holidaying in the first degree. . .


Well that's just one (lyrics albeit distorted by me) of the many many songs back in the 80s you would expect to hear when you're here!

Yup its none other than ZOUK on a Wednesday night! The SIM guyzos of the other clique organised a end-of-exams Mambo Night out celebration. Since I never been there I reckon there's no better time to hop along!


From Left: Desmond, myself, Jia He, Zhong Hao and Wei Hao


Some of the many drinks that was wiped out that night.

The drinks are really weak compared to that of St. James. Too much syrups and too little alcohol! But I guess you can't expect much from free drinks or cheap cocktails and shots. Ha!


Now you see it, now you don't! Its time to head to the dance floor!

I don't think there's much that needs to be said. I must be the backward few 23 year old males left in S'pore who has never been to Zouk on a Wednesday night. Everyone has heard of MAMBO night and Zouk right???

Well I did enjoy my first visit there. For one the music totally rocks! The best of Belinda Carlise, Nena, Chumbawamba, Abba, Bananarama, Rick Astley, Marianas Trench, Eddy Grant, etc. I found myself humming along with almost every song that came along. Much better than the trance music (do you even call that music???) that was playing during the SIM bash at St. James.


The larger group of people at the end! All from SIM!

And yes for the UNINITIATED, I hope to give you a glimpse of the defining trait of Mambo night. Introducing. . .


The classic 'hand' dance movements!

Eg.
Belinda Carlisle's Summer Rain

Step #1 Chorus: 'Oh my love, it's you...' Your move: Bring both hands together to form a 'heart' over your left bosom, then use your right hand to point at 'you'.

Step #2 Chorus: 'that I dream of...' Your move: Bring your right hand up and point to your right temple.

Step #3 Chorus: 'Oh my love, since that day...' Your move: Bring both hands together to form a 'heart' over your left bosom, then raise your right hand upwards, palm facing up.

Step #4 Chorus: 'somewhere in my heart, I'm always...' Your move: Bring your hands together and make a heart shape over your left bosom, then clap twice in rhythm with 'always'.

Step #5 Chorus: 'dancing with you in the summer rain...' Your move: With both hands half-raised and your index finger and thumb pinched together, make little circles as you twirl your hands around for 'dancing'. When the chorus goes 'summer rain', stretch out your hands and make little ripples with your fingers as if simulating a shower of rain.

(Wikipedia 2008)

That is just part of a song. I can't believe there are actually people who memorised EVERY unique dance move for EVERY darn song! Simply AMAZING!!! Don't these guys have anything else better to do??? I mean with this sort of effort taken to memorise, one could probably memorised all the taekwando moves right up to black belt or something! Hahaha. I mean at least that is more practical right?

*Performs 'cross my heart, hope to die' Mambo Zouk move in front of a would be robber*

No use right??? I'd rather learn how to execute a chin kick or something. Anyway if you see carefully, those guys on the platforms really know all the moves. I heard that the moves can be learnt on You Tube as well??? Can't believe it. So free ah these people? I pondered on the rationale for learning every single movement but I guess only those folks on the platforms can tell you that!

After a while,


It got too smoky to take any other pictures. So I'm still awaiting the photos from other friends to come in! In the meantime its time to dance man. . .

I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home