html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> I Need an Invention, Intention, to stop Temptation to Scream...: Gunning for what it's worth

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Gunning for what it's worth

I'm leaving for America already!!! Well in about several hours time. I was rummaging through the cupboard where I keep important documents and where I keep several mementos and I found this gem.



Flash back to early 2006. I was finishing army then and was supposed to take a final shooting test known as the annual Advance Trainfire Package (ATP). It is a must for all ORD-ing personnels/commanders to pass the shoot. Of course I was looking for more than a pass.

I was aiming for Marksmanship. A total of about 28 hits out of a possible 32 hits with 16 hits in the day and 16 hits in the night over several different distances and target sizes. Well its not just about the monetary prize that came along with it. It's more of the want to be recognised. To be distinguished as one with a certain ability to hold a firearm. To command the respect of shooters and non-shooters alike. To be able to have a badge on my otherwise very plain looking uniform.

Well to cut the long story short (hey I got a plane to catch man), I did not clinch the marksmanship. I managed only 27 shots out of a possible 32, missing a total of 5 shots. Naturally I was very sad. I went around the whole night kicking myself and wondering how on earth did I miss the last shot. It was like missing the toto jackpot by a single digit. I did WIN my CO (who was firing beside me on the next lane) by a single shot, but it didn't prove to be much of a consolation.

Soon my dissapointment spread to XinYi and it was then that she drew me that marksman badge to reward me for my effort (ain't it cute?).

Looking back 3 years from now, I realise it was all a vain pursuit. Why was I chasing for something that would make me proud every time I wear my uniform these years (after ORD-ing) for a total of 2 weeks for a single year when I report for the annual in-camp-training? And who on earth would give two cents for one who can shoot in the real life? I always tell myself not to chase the temporary high. It was then so tonight that I am reminded of what it really entails.

So the aim of the US trip is for me to be in pursuit for all that is worth it. Something that will last through the test of time. Something that I will treasure or apply for the rest of my life. Something that I can pass on and share with to those who really matter (yes Coach bags and DKNY watches included all you doofus). I do not want to be chasing for something that will fade away or something that is used only occassionally. This shall be my guide and prayer as I embark on this new journey for 5 months.


I must have did something right to make this shot then.

Thank you for always being there when it matters.

I will be back real soon. I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home